Leader in Responsible Tourism and Carbon Zero Policy
Your Spanish Holiday needn't “Cost the Earth”!
We take Responsible Tourism and our environmental impact very seriously. As the first CarbonZero® establishment in Andalucia (2008-2012), we have taken every step we can to minimise the impact of tourism on the local countryside and global environment by reducing our CO2 Footprint wherever possible.
Andalucia has been greatly impacted by Global Warming, with a long-term draught since 2000 and increasing temperatures during the Autumn and Winter. However, Tourism is critical to the local economy with some estimates putting the Tourism contribution to Andalucia’s economy at over 25% of GDP with a similar percentage for Direct and Indirect employment in the region. Therefore it is critical to ensure continuing growth in Tourism for Andalucia, guaranteeing continued employment and prosperity whilst reducing the impact on the environment.
We have made considerable investment and effort in means and methods of reducing Carbon Emission and Carbon Footprint, so that our guests can enjoy the wonders of Andalucia, safe in the knowledge that their enjoyment of their holiday is not ‘Costing the Earth’.
Carbon Reduction & OffsetWe embarked on reduction in all our carbon producing activities and all the inevitable remaining CO2 emission is offset by contributing to CO2 reduction projects worldwide.
We are one of the first tourist establishments in Spain to embark on Carbon Offsetting to ensure our economical activity and contribution to the Spanish and Andalucian economy is not done so at the cost to the environment. We offset 17 tonnes of CO2 per year by contributing to Carbon Reduction projects worldwide. We have chosen the projects carefully ensuring that these projects are not solely focused on Carbon Reduction but have additional long-term social and economical benefits for the recipients.
Flight OffsetOne of the biggest contributors of CO2 in any vacation is the emissions generated by the flight to your destination. Malaga is only 2 hour flight from most Northern European countries representing one of the shortest and hence least amount of CO2 emission for the sun-seekers.
We provide an opportunity for all our guests to make a voluntary contribution to our Offset programme in order to neutralise the CO2 generated by their flight to Malaga. You can offset your CO2 flight emissions by clicking on the link on the right panel. The calculator will show your carbon emission, enabling you to offset your flight carbon emission online.
To Calculate and Offset your Flight CO2 Emission.
Responsible TourismOur Responsible Tourism Programme is a holistic approach to the environment including many aspects of our operation including but not limited to:
- Local Buying – We purchase 95% of our supplies from within 15 KM of our Cortijo, ensuring our consumption of food, supplies, etc. does not have the additional burden of high travel mileage. The remaining food is purchased in bulk from Malaga.
- Recycling– All our glass, metals, Tetra packs and plastic is recycled on weekly basis thanks to the extensive provisions of recycling collection centres in Andalucia and in particular Malaga regions. Our recycling collection centre is less than 6 KM from our premises.
- Solar Preheat – Water supplying our hot water boiler is pre-heated by Solar Power reducing the need to consume vast quantities of CO2 producing fuel.
- LPG – We use LPG for heating water for Pool Facing Casitas, minimising the CO2 emission and electricity consumption.
- Naturally Heated Pool – We do not heat our swimming pool as this luxurious activity is unnecessary and harmful to the environment. Heated pools consume huge quantities of fuel or electricity, producing unnecessary emission. Additionally heated swimming pools lose enormous quantities of precious water to evaporation due to their higher temperature.
- Saline Pool – We have converted out swimming pool to Saline water, which reduces the need for use of industrially produced Chlorine that has to be transported hundreds of miles from factories to retail shops. Saline pools produce their own Chlorine within a perpetual system hence reducing the use of chemicals and providing an altogether more pleasant swimming experience.
- Low Energy Lights – All lights used for more than 4 hours per day have been changed to Low Energy Lights reducing electricity usage significantly. All our garden and exterior lights use Low Energy bulbs and footpaths switch to Solar Lights from midnight every night.
- Diesel Vehicle – Our vehicle fuel consumption is part of our off-set programme and we use economical Diesel Vehicle fitted with particulate filters.